Wednesday, March 27, 2024

EOTO Technology presentations : Blog #5

History of television - Wikipedia

Based on one of today's presentations, the first television presentation caught my attention the most. At first, mechanical televisions came about and were only used for about 20 years. After that, the electrical television was invented in 1927 by Philo Farnsworth and Vladimir. When the television was first developed, it only showed black and white and eventually adopted color. The television's first drama was "The Queens Messenger," broadcast from Schenectady, New York Station WGY, on September 11th, 1928. Complications of the television at the time was that it cost $445 United States dollars, which only the rich could afford since the average American salary was 35 dollars per month. WWII created a drop in sales.

Queen's Messenger

However, sales skyrocketed once the war ended. After television was around for a while, final touches like standardizing the system and color in 1941 were a huge change. Negative impacts of television would be terrible events such as 911, assassinations such as JFK, challenger position, and natural disasters. Seeing these events broadcast everywhere strikes anxiety, greed, and anger. All of these aroused emotions, which could result in riots, protests, and isolation. All of these negatively impact us as humans and the sites or channels that choose to broadcast the story. On the positive side, television had its first satellite TV in 1962. After the development of satellite, faster global news was broadcasted at the touch of a button and could be connected to any broadcast worldwide. This is significant because it brings families together to watch their favorite movies, make memories, and engage in shows. Personally, I remember watching Blues Clues from 9:00-10:00 PM every weeknight and Scooby Doo from 8:00-9:15am every weekend. These shows are no longer broadcasted at the exact times anymore, but I still think back to when I used to watch them as they were my favorite shows to watch with my friends and simply gave me serotonin. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our Relationship With Technology & Technology's Relationship With Us : Blog #12

     I think my relationship with technology is not the healthiest because I am constantly on my phone, checking my notifications, and get a...